Saturday 13 May 2017

Wandin 2017

Easily the toughest course in the world. 3 major hills, log jumps and kangaroo crossings, this is the real deal. Plan was to feel good after the first lap and try to bring it home strong. Didn't really happen but I was happy with the result in the end. 8km race.

Went off strong but not too strong. Started feeling a bit lactic just before the last hill on the first lap but kept the cadence high and worked my way forward. Duking it out here with 3 or 4 of the same guys. Don't really remember what happened from 4-6km but fairly sure I ended up losing to all of them. Hit the second climb on the second lap and absolutely lost the plot. It is an insane hill, a good 400m long top to bottom but only gets properly steep the last 200m. Everyone around me was hurting, so despite feeling like I'd hit a wall, I reckon I was going okay.

I was absolutely suffering in the last km, but managed to pull an okay last 300m to the finish. Ended up with 71st place and a 30:38 on the watch. Really happy with that not going to lie. Checked the result from the 4k last year and turns out I ran 15:33 for just the single lap and I would've split close to 15 flat on the two lapper. Not sure how that works but I'll take it. 3:41s apparently although everyone's watch had the course at 300m long but who knows. Cooled down with Eamonn running the course backwards. 13.6km all up.

No comments:

Post a Comment