Sunday 28 May 2017

Cruden Farm 2017

First 10 miler so I was extremely unsure to say the least. Jogged around a bit with Eamonn before, chucking the spikes on and got to the start line. 4 laps of 4km each.

Very busy start but the pace was nice and steady just how I wanted. Got myself a bit of breathing room and started reeling in those who went out too quick. Hit 4km feeling very comfy. The course was genuinely fantastic though. Pretty undulating, lots of corners but also plenty of straight sections where you could go for it a bit. Bit of a river jump and well which grew and grew after hundreds of people had gone through it. We were the last race of the day as well so it was a disaster on the 4th lap. First time through I copped the mud halfway up the shin on the left leg which was real strange with one leg feeling heavy and the other bouncy.

I was switching the lead with a guy from box hill I think between 4km and 10km. Went through halfway feeling strong, but fast, like I still had a fair bit left. Split 10km in 37:21 and upped the effort a bit and dropped my shadow. Effort went up, but the pace was similar. Really went for it with 4 to go and managed to catch a load of people hurting in the last quarter. Same foot muddy 4 times in a row. Must've moved up 10 to 15 places in the last section. Crossed the finish line with Chris W in sight, but didn't have him in the end.

Turns out the course was only well short which was a touch unfortunate, I was hoping for a proper 10 miles. Ended up running 56:29 for 15.2 (3:43s) and came 70th. Crossed the line feeling absolutely knackered, but I reckon I could've been hurting a bit more from a quicker pace earlier on. Maybe I'll push a bit harder in the middle sections next time but I didn't go above 3:47s the whole way round so real consistent which I'm stoked with. Lessons learned though, furthest I've ever raced.

Tried a cool down, but everything was so so sore. Just jogged out 600m and called it a day, 17.2 all up.

Sunday today and was going to ride but the weather was so poor, decided I'd earned a rest day so stayed inside. Looking forward to training real hard the next few weeks, myself and Jasp have big plans for the Warburton time trial this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment