Saturday 15 October 2016

Shield rd 2 + Threshold

1500m was on the cards early afternoon yesterday. Up at Casey fields and extremely windy. Safe to say one of the windiest conditions I've even run in. Warmed up with the Glenhuntly guys. Myself, Jasper, Sam and Liam were in heat 1. Jogged around 2.5km before putting on spikes and doing strides into the wind. It was so windy that I decided to tuck my singlet in because it was getting blown off during the strides.

Jasper got out hard the first 100m, I pushed through a few people and got myself onto the inside of lane 1. Felt a bit uncomfortable on the first lap but 500m in I felt great. Found myself towards the back so pushed up and got onto Sam's shoulder but then the wind hit down the back straight and I lost all sorts of ground. It was truly unbelievable, I was getting blown all over the track. Running through a genuine wall. Felt strong coming into the last lap and moved up again. 

250m to go, straight into the wind and Liam tried to come by, but unfortunately clipped my heels and I stumbled. He got 5 metres on me in less than a second as I lost all momentum. Brought it home as fast as I could although I tightened right up. Need to work on staying relaxed in those final stages. 

Ended up running 4:32 so not too shabby considering the conditions. If more things went to plan I really reckon I could've been right up there.

Then switched to flats and did a threshold with the boys on the trails surrounding Casey fields. 4km in 15:03 so 3:46s, pretty happy with that in the wind. I was hurting a bit by the end.

Finished with 3 strides on the track with Sam plus a 4km cool down. 12.5km all up, great workout.


No comments:

Post a Comment