Friday 8 May 2015

Last school cross country 2015

Today was cross country day and the main competition was Will who runs at Glenhuntly with me. Warmed up with max, another GHY boy, and did some drills while they played house songs in an attempt to get everyone keen to run 5k in the bitter wind. It wasn't all bad though, the commentators did have a sense of humour which was greatly appreciated by most and made the last 200m stretch better than your average last 200m stretch.

The start was mental as always, as the real winner is the man who completes the starting 300m first, with second place going to the man who can tackle the most people to the ground within that 300m while there is still sufficient numbers on the oval to conceal their true identity. I stayed with the competition and anyone in the way copped a hip and shoulder or a don't argue. Wasn't expecting the 3:23 first km split that appeared on my watch as I didn't feel the pace at all. It seemed to be too much for most of the crowd though as after 2km(3:20) it was just me and Will. Must've slowed slightly and came in at 3:26 through the third. Still feeling really good at this point.

The course took us back through the school so we received the cheers of many as we went back past the starting line. Will moved ahead of me and I tucked in behind him then but I feel as if that move might've taken it out of him as I went back around and started creating a gap. Kept the pace strong and felt the gap growing. Due to the 2 laps, walkers were in the way so I jumped on the asphalt to give myself space and pushed on.

A teacher, oblivious to the issue of not being able to run through people let me know to jump back on the pavement but probably due to my obvious fatigue and lack of response she let it go which was probably wise. Kept the pace strong all the way home and ended up with a time of 16:39 for just under 5km. Really happy as it's the first time I've managed to beat the school. Great run.



No comments:

Post a Comment