Friday 22 May 2015

2015 District Cross Country

So Wednesday was the next stage in the state schools cross country championships. Not a huge field and it was run at Karkarook Park where the infamous highnam handicap was also staged. However this time, the course was 2 laps not just 1. Did a warm up by myself before drills then strides then lining up where we all listened to the starter who had genuinely no idea what she was talking about.

Anyway, pretty fast start but it slowed up quickly after about 200m. Sammy Toll was the main competition who, to be fair, is a huge talent. He's already put down an 8:52 3km on the track at nationals last year so my goal was to just hang on for as long as I could. Him and I started breaking away after about 1500m and we surged again after 2km to split through 3km in around 9:50, then up the hill he surged again and got me. I held the distance between us for about 500m before he began pulling away once more.

After that, I think I definitely slacked off a bit as 2nd place was guaranteed by then so I'm pretty disappointed in myself actually. Should've kept pushing fast to get the best time I could so not great from me. However, next race, lesson learned, that's what I will focus on for the next round. Time was 15:58 in the end for around 4.8km so 20 seconds faster than last year which is great to see.

In the evening, went up to running club for an easy 6km jog so 13km all up for Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment