Tuesday 10 January 2017

Final Falls and things I've learned this year



Sundee

Long run with Will in the morning. I think he put a few too many kms in on the first week and was paying the price to he took it easy running with me. I was also keen just to get around and did so in 1:39:00 for the half marathon. Felt very comfy until the last couple of k along the aquaduct had my legs feeling pretty hollow, but other than that felt great, even the hill wasn't too bad. 89.9km for the week.

Monday

Got up earlier than the others with Eamonn for 12km easy along the aquaduct. Ran from home out to the end of the trail past the bridge and then back to the wishing well. 12.1km in 55:21 (4:35s) plus finished off with a few strides. Pretty tired, definitely feeling the effects of an extended stint at Falls.

Tuesday

6 x 1kms once again. Looking forward to it this time and was keen to improve on last week. 6 x 1km along the trail with 60s recovery. Can really feel the thin air on this one, lungs really struggle, but the legs aren't as sore as back in Melbourne. Just have to find a rhythm and stick with it or my breath just leaves me.

3:33. 3:28, 3:36, 3:33, 3:43, 3:32

Stoked with that one to be honest. Way better than last week and glad to have a base going into cross country. 16km all up.


Things I've learned and best and worst performances

Large amounts of plagairism in here from another blog on the scene, however it's an elite summary of the year.

1. Don't put pressure on yourself, just get out there and get it done
2. Falls creek is great for fitness, but not for speed
3. Back off when something is sore - get on the bike it's great cardio and sometime I could do with less impact for a few days.

Best performances

1. Vic 5k champs - 5000m PB here after a shocker the week before
2. Jells Park Relays - I didn't appreciate it then, but running faster than the year before after 3 months of injury was a great start to the season.
3. Sandown relays - felt like I posted a really competitive time here and was full of confidence afterwards.


Worst Performances

1. Vic Milers 3000m - after hyping it up so much then running 30s slower than I was planning showed how much pressure I put on myself to run first. I just gotta relax.
2. Albert Park 10km - same situation, same result, a minute slower than last year
3. Tan relays - not much I could do about this one, but I know now how much hayfever adores my build.

About to go for a gentle jog back at DMAC with the club, I'm red blood cell based these days. Here's some photos from my time at Falls Creek.

View from Viking lodge.                                          


First 400 session, yeah the track is pretty sketchy. We were inside of a cloud for a half the trip too.



Ourselves and the Tassie devils we stayed with on the second week

Chris Winter and I on the 400s

No comments:

Post a Comment