Saturday 9 July 2016

Sandown Relays 2016

After a bit of a detour back home when I forgot my watch, got to Sandown with half an hour to spare before the race. I was first leg, with Declan and Luke in the U20 team. 

Again, tried to start out conservative as I hate blowing up in the second lap. Sandown is always a good course, it's 6.2km and normally used as a car racetrack so it's all road, with a few slow slopes up and down, but nothing too drastic. 

Lots of people went out quick steaming ahead on the first lap, feeling really strong  2.5km in, I upped the ante a touch and split 10:25 for the first lap. Jasper helped out here calling out that there was only one lap to go. How good is sarcasm. 

Pushed on still feeling okay but after 4km I was really working hard. Surged here up the hill taking a nice line around some bends and managed to catch the next bloke in my age group. I think his name is Michael McGuire (??). Went by down the quick fast so no one could latch on. 

Before the last bend a group of 4 tried to pass, but I felt the competitiveness kicking in and managed to stay with them until the line. A women shouted a split of 20:35 to a runner beside me urging them to go sub 21. I thought it was a good chance for my build as well, but the straight was decievingly long. 

 Touched Declan's hand and collapsed on the fence with a time of 21:13, 11s faster than last year so that's all I could ask for really. Stoked with the run. Jogged a few km solo before running into Will and Jasp cooling down so did an extra lap with them. Their team managed a sturdy first place in the U18 with some pretty sporty times. 13.3km all up.

Cheered Sammy and JB round with them. A good 4 cups of tea at the GHY area made me forget about sore calves. Great hit out. Now getting ready for the big 10km next weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment