Thursday 26 March 2015

Vic Twilight Classic

Yesterday was probably the most amazing conditions for running I've ever seen. Not a breath of wind, a nice temperature hovering around 19 degrees all day and a bit cooler in the early evening. However that was my rest day and so thunderstorms were forecasted for race day. At the track, it was the back straight during which we were running against the wind. I was put in the 3000m B race and Chris was running the 5000m with Eloise Wellings going for the World Championships Qualifier of 15:20. My race was first, fast start, the starting 200m in 34s. Didn't feel it though. Jumped on board of the 2 lead runners and stayed with them. First lap was 73s, perfect as far as I was concerned. Stayed with the 2 leaders, through 1km in 3:02 and I felt the second guy dying. On the fourth lap, I went by while the wind was behind me, planning to push the pace or to just latch onto the leader. Managed to latch on and went through 2km in 6:09 as the leader was starting to gap me. Kept on hammering as I hard as I could, just to attempt a strong finish. Alone, however the wind took its toll and the gap grew. Last lap I just went as fast as I could run and ended up running 9:23. Really happy as that's a 13s PB in rough conditions. Really stoked to able to run this. Chris ended up running 16:01 after going out in 6:04 through 2km after staying with Wellings. Great run from him, a PB and Wellings managed to hit her qualifier, running 15:17 I think with a fairly aggressive coach getting loud with 200 left to travel. Stoked with my result though, I've been trying to go under 9:30 for years now it seems. Looking forward to continuing to race.

No comments:

Post a Comment