Friday 18 November 2016

Vic Champs 5000m D race

6km easy with the guys who were racing on Wednesday night plus some strides as the run the day before the race. Wasn't stressing about this one, just decided to see how it went. Only goal was to not lead so hung in the middle of the pack off the start going through the first lap in about 76.

After 600m or so, a lead group broke off the front running a fair bit faster than their predicted pace and a few went with them. I stuck in the second group running consistent 80s laps for the first 2km feeling great. At 6 laps in, I told myself if I was still feeling good at 3k I'd go to the front of the pack and see if I could pick it up a bit. Ended up doing just that running wide on the home stretch to take the lead of the second pack on the bend. Here, we started to catch some of those who fell off the front, not begin able to keep with the leaders.

Overtaking felt great, but a bloke from my group moved past me with about 3 to go and got 5 metres on me. Continued to push really hurting now holding the gap of about 5 metres. 2 laps to go and I had moved ahead of my group, but couldn't reel in any ahead. Hit the last bell and gave the last lap everything and ran about 76, absolutely knackered across the line and ended up with 16:42, a new PB so I'm over the moon. Here's the results, I'll post the video they recorded a bit later.

 

Jogged a lap of the lake with Sammy to round off a great night. JB and Sam both went sub 16 in 15:54 and 15:30 (ish?) respectively in the C and B races while Will just about held on for 16:32 just coming off injury. Fantastic race, looking forward to next year already.


No comments:

Post a Comment