Saturday 18 April 2015

Jells Park Relays 2015

Got down to Jells this morning for the first XCR race of the season. I was racing the 6.2km made up of 2 loops. Warmed up solo before watching Rossi, who is here from the Solomon Islands to train for the commonwealth games as he is the best in his country at 19 years old, take the first leg. I put spikes on last minute, got to my changeover point, Rossi hit my hand and I was off. Probably went out a bit too quick and completely died on my second lap. Split at 3.1km was 10:27 and from then on struggled. Such a hilly course, I'd forgotten from last year, and the whole changeover segment is only halfway up one of the hills. So with a lap to go you really feel it. Could feel myself falling to pieces up the hill and my splits showed it. Dragged myself through the final 2km with the flat sections feeling like ascending. Ended up running 22:04 for 6.2km so not great from me but no too worried as there's a long time until state ands the big races. Dad filmed me for some sections and I reckon I've got to fix my style when I get fatigued, relax my shoulders, keep the cadence strong and getting a rhythm going would take me miles.  Also I think my mental effort lacked so I have to stay focused during longer races, concentrate on pushing on rather than thinking about how tough it is. Just some things to work on, good workout though, 12.5km all up. Cooled down with Sam who monstered it in 20:20. God that was a rough course.

4 comments:

  1. Jack - I was looking at your photos (12th April below) and was thinking you need to strengthen your glutes and core as you're sinking into your hips a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah good call, I'm doing a fair bit of core at the moment but I probably need to mix up the sessions. I do jump squats as well for legs but not much for glutes. Any recommended exercises?

      Delete
  2. Jack - I do exercise 3 in this video each morning in the shower. Important not to let your leg touch the ground after each pivot or its too easy. If you can do more than 10 on each leg I'm impressed. http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/glute-strength

    ReplyDelete