Sunday 9 November 2014

Victoria All Schools 2014 1500m

Yesterday night, pumped out a warm up with Chris, then some drills, then headed into the call room to get marked off and given numbers. They then took us out onto the track to do some strides and get spikes on. Chris and I were lucky enough to be given numbers 1 and 2 meaning we were both in the first lane to start. The goal was for me to just hang onto Chris as long as I could and see what happens. We didn't consider that it might be a slow race though and of course it was so it botched the plan up a fair bit. The start was quick though like normal, we had to get out fast to avoid being cut up and spat out the back of the field because of our starting place. I claimed the inside lane right behind Chris which was handy and after the first 100m the pace slowed so much I nearly ran into Chris in front of me. It then picked up slightly but nothing substantial and I found myself running next to the fifth best U18 800m runner in the world. The kid has a time of 1:50 for 800 so his kick is unbelievable. I just sat in the pack honestly feeling like I could run that speed all day. It was seriously slow. Then after 850m Chris went to the front and pushed on the pace. I stuck with them until just before the bell where the leaders pulled away from me. I just ran the fastest last lap I could and finished in 8th place with a time of 4:26. Really happy to be honest after such a slow start. Gives me loads of confidence to run under 4:20 if we go out in a quick first kilometre. Anyway got home and came down with a massive cold, now I've got a sore throat, huge headache and a stuffy nose. Can't run the 3000m today which is really disappointing. I think I am going to watch the races with Dad anyway though, should be good.
                                           
                                This is us on the first lap.
 
                      This is on the last lap, me trying to hold on to the leaders.

                         This is me on the home straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment