Thursday 6 November 2014

I can't even handle

Tonight running club for the third time this week. Doing a taper as the last run before the races. Warm up then the first rep is a 1km. Started off solid and overtook a guy jogging about 250m into the rep, he started shouting abuse, about how we need to learn respect and about how we need to not come so close when passing. To be fair I did pass him fairly close but no contact was made and I definitely didn't cut him off because I was moving too fast to change direction back into his line. I must've been 10m ahead before I was in his line again. Anyway Tom gave some lip back which probably wasn't a fantastic decision, but nothing I could do about it. Finished the rep with Haffie gaining on me the whole way in a quality time of 2:46 especially in wind like that (Cheyne reckon 3 or 4 second wind). Anyway half way through the recovery and the guy comes back around to where we were still sucking down air and starts having another go. Tom jumps right back into the fray arguing straight back. The guys argument was that we didn't own the track and we shouldn't use him as a guideline for racing. By the way the track he's referring to is not an athletics track but a 1200m tan loop which people of all ages, speeds and sizes use for exercise in general. He kept up the profanities and was obviously upset. I went outside and told everyone to settle down, Tom stopped shouting but the guy kept on having a go. I told him okay but no contact was made, however he continued to fairly ridiculous claims about how he has been the victim of Glenhuntly athletics club ever since he started jogging 3 years ago. I told him I understand but we're training hard and he was in the middle of the path and that I don't understand what he's upset at as nobody touched him, cut him off, or clipped him. He stormed off with the classic "you're all fuckwits, well done" I think someone gave him a "work mate" but I'm not sure. I understand his arguments but like driving the slowest drivers should stay on the left not in between 2 lanes. And there was entirely no reason to be upset other than being overtaken. In the end we did our next rep the 600m on the athletics track which is placed in the middle of the 1200m tan loop. Pumped out a 1:36 which I was happy with considering the quick first kilometre. The last 300m rep though wasn't great in 45s after a shaky start by me but brought it home the last 100m. 2.4km cool down for 6.7km all up.

No comments:

Post a Comment