Saturday 18 June 2016

Bundoora All Schools 2016 State champs

The big race finally came along after a few days of stressing that I tapered too much. 

Had some toast this morning. I now have found a tradition in subbing out the usual weetbix for toast on race day, as the bix do have a high fibre content, not ideal for an 8km slog in the early arvo. 

I coached for my old school team and everyone ran well, which was good to see. Will had an excellent hit out, despite minimal training, front running for 4km, changing the race completely and putting major pressure on the chase pack. Despite getting reeled in, he came away with a huge 4th place and a sturdy spot on Team Vic. 

Our phat builds at the finish line.

Jasper also smashed it with a huge run, coming 19th and also qualifying. 

I warmed up with Sammy, a 3km jog, nervous as. 2 nervous pisses later, I'm on  the start line and we're off. Focused on a slow start, let lots of people flow past me and stuck with Declan. Pretty hill course, lots of ups and downs, especially out the back, there is a particularly steep section. 

Hung with Declan until just past the steep downhill section after a hill taking us up to the highest point in the park. Flew down the hill, the km split 3:06 here so rolling along nicely. Made a by of a move up the steep hill here picking off 3 or 4 people and moving up the field. Continued to do this for the remainder of the first 4km lap. 

Started to feel the pinch up the last steep little incline. Real soft turf here but managed to get up it alright. Back towards the start marking 1 lap in just under 14:00. Surged up the hill onto the shoulder of the next guy ahead of me, all of a sudden felt magical and jumped by quickly before it went away. Down the back once again before the hill had me hurting. 

Grinding hard here to catch a bloke on the hill but I had just about had it. 2km left and I was hurting. A long, shallow downhill gave me my bounce back and I really went for it, 400m to go I was knackered and trying to fight off the kickers around me early. One got by with 200 to go, but I couldn't do anything I was so done. Crossed the line in 28:32 in 26th place, absolutely stoked, cutting a minute off last year's time for the same course! 

Disappointed to be 1 place off the national reserve cutoff, I would genuinely give anything to be on that team. Over the moon though with my run. 

Sammy ended up coming 10th in U20, I think he was satisfied but not stoked with his race. He'll kill nationals for sure. Leading out the race, I think he made sure his nemesis, the infamous Aaron Brown, couldn't even see the baby blue singlet well ahead.

JB and Matty both cruised around in the open race. JB genuinely laughed everytime I saw him. Here's another photo.


Might take a rest day tomorrow, I'll feel a bit guilty, but I've got a feeling I might avoid injury in the near future for a bit of extra recovery now. I'll go to strength just to make sure. 



No comments:

Post a Comment