Wednesday 4 September 2013

Race + Kenyan Fartlek

Yesterday had the next round from the school athletics. I was running the 1500m. Alright day for running, good temperature, but very windy. The race started and I led. I have almost no experience in this race so I didn't know what to do. Just kept running at the same pace with a tall kid from another school and one of my mates behind me. Went through the first 400 in 73 seconds. Continued at the same paces until 800 where I considered kicking but decided not to. I am not a very good sprinter at all so I should've kicked at 800. I continued like this feeling great. Went through the 1km mark in 3:17 and just kept the same pace. At about 250m to go. The tall guy behind me just went. I tried to continue with him, but I can't sprint. He beat me by about 20m. I ended up running a 4:42. I had recovered in 2 minutes while the leader continued breathing hard for another 2 minutes after. I made poor decisions and therefore lost the race. After a talk with Cheyne (running coach) I now know what to do.

About 5 hours after the race I had training. We weren't doing a hard session as most of us were racing tomorrow. Just 2 minutes fast, 2 minutes slow 4 times. Then 1 minute fast , 1 minute slow 4 times. Felt really good, despite having raced. Did the session no worries and about 9.3km in all.   

No comments:

Post a Comment