Sunday 16 February 2014

Victoria Junior Championships - 3000m

So this morning the second and final race for me in the Vic Juniors. Did a warm up with Chris who was running in the same race. Started off solid with all the field together. Felt so easy because of all the people running together. Got myself into a nice position on the inside of the first lane. We went through the 1st km in 3:09, right on target for me. The field started to split so I had choice to go with the leaders or stay with the back group. I went past the back group, but wasn't able to get on the back of the leaders again. Kept on going and went through the second km in 3:11. Then I slowed, but so did everyone behind me. I was nervous about killing myself which was very foolish since it was the last kilometre. Started to hurt, but I didn't push which I should've. Came through for the last lap and picked up the pace again. Someone came round me, but I hung on and took him back with 200 to go. He got me again at 100, but I pulled him back with 25 to go. Ended up running 9:40 so another 9 second Pb. Pretty happy but, he thing I learned from this race is to keep pushing hard in that final km because that is where I lost all my time. Good to get a Pb, but there is always room for improvement. Good also to get some more race experience. The same mistakes will not be made again.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work Jack. I reckon 3000m is the hardest race distamce there is. It's supposed to hurt like hell from go to whoa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yeah it's a tough one, I have got to learn to keep pushing though

    ReplyDelete