Friday 14 February 2014

Victoria Junior Championships - 1500m

Today was the my first race of the Vic Juniors so been pretty nervous all day. School was a bit of a struggle because of that, but I survived. Warmed up with Chris who was in the same race as me, so good to have some support. Started off strong, first 400m in 67s. I had just been dropped by the lead pack along with a few others, and I think this is where I made my mistake. I let them go and didn't stick on them. I was scared of going too hard too soon so I held back a bit. Went through the km in 2:57. Tried to push harder the last 400m and got a bit of speed. Didn't quite catch the others, but I felt I had the ability. Finished in 4:27 so a 9s pb for me. Happy with this time and really stoked going under 4:30, but I feel I can do a couple of seconds better. Realised actually how much I love this sport now, I actually am so pumped for my race on Sunday. Winner ran 3:55, second 4 flat and third 4:03. Some very good athletes in our age group, Cheyne reckons our age group is the strongest around for a long time now...

2 comments:

  1. Well done Jack, first race of the season is always a bit rusty. You'll knock 10s off that with some races under your belt. You should be beating my PB for 1500m based on your training times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, we'll see what happens within the next few months, I'm looking forward to it

      Delete