Tuesday 27 February 2018

Melbourne University 5000m D - 4th in 16:16

Monday night just jogged 6km while everyone else warmed up for the session. Strides as well and called it there. Talked all things Vic Juniors as we jogged, Liam ran a national qualifier in the 800 and Jason came second in the 3000.

It was hot all day so drunk plenty of water, got to the track about an hour before and warmed up with Brodie and Sam. Spikes on, did some strides. Bloke calling the names forgot to call me to the line classic. I started in the second row because of that which annoyed me but I got out well and straight to the inside. Bit of pushing all around but I held my place which was ideal, very relaxed felt very strong.

People jumpy as for the first kilometre everyone was trying to overtake and get into a good position, but it was a good pace for me so I just let it go. Through the first km in 3:15ish and the group split into 2. I went wide and jumped on the group chasing the leaders. It was the right call otherwise the second km would've slowed right up.

The woman calling splits was all over the place what she was calling out seemed so off. I swear she said 7:10 through 2km and I'm like surely that can't be right, I can't have just dropped a 4 min km. I talked to Dad afterwards though and he reckons I ran 3:15s the whole way round. Started hurting with 5 laps to go then definitely at 4 laps to go. Still rolling around picking people off which was great. Caught Brodie with 2 to go and went by chasing the 3rd place. Got the third place with a lap to go and tried to go. He came back around with 200 left, before Brodie challenged but I managed to stay ahead.

16:16 across the line I'm so happy. Paced it well and everything went to plan. Jogged a cool down with Jake after he ran a 15:30 before watching the A race in which they went sub 14 so that was great to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment