Friday 30 May 2014

2014 Districts Cross Country

So yesterday was the Districts round race. 4.8km of asphalt paths through Karkarook Park and one of my favourite courses. About 10 kids from Mckinnon were in the race so pretty rowdy start. The Starter said "on your marks", Tim shot off, then "go" and the rest of the field followed him. Tim was definitely flying the first 500m then slowed. Then Nick and I caught up and we settled into a lead pack of Josh, Chappo, Jonno, Harry, and 2 kids from different schools. Jonno and Chappo led setting a nice pace and we went through the first km in 3:22. Then we slowed back to 3:38 for the second just after a big surge was made by another kid, but we decided to let him go. He got about 10m ahead of us before he slowed, staying that distance in front. Then I decided to pick it up a bit, went past the others and reeled in the leader going through the 3rd km in 3:20. Nick and another bloke were right on my tail and I extended our lead. Hit the 4th km in 3:30 and then the race was on. Nick and I surged, but the bloke held on. 500m to go and he went by but I stuck by his side, he slowed and I kept going, we dropped him. 200m to go and Nick came flying by, his kick is truly magnificent and that is an area that I have actually improved on. Time was 16:18 and I am so happy with that. The race was only 4.8km long though, however the last 800m was run at 3 minute k pace. Nick finished in 16:12 and we also won the team event having 5 runners in the top 10.



This is me just in front of Nick just before the 3km mark.

1 comment:

  1. You look a lot fresher than him at this point Jack. Same you couldn't hold on for the victory

    ReplyDelete