Tuesday 16 June 2015

Regional Cross Country 2015

So after being berated by my Grandfather for providing too little information about cross country racing, I have decided to make a change. Yesterday was the regional race and I was still feeling Saturday's run so really wasn't expecting anything special. Course was made up of a 2km and a 3km lap, there was only the one small hill in both of them. I was up against Sam from districts and yesterdays DIY hydrotherapy sesh, Lochie Lyness who got me by a solid minute on Saturday, Peter Dutton who I often compete against, I normally come out on top, Vaughn Smith who's up and down but a truly great bloke and 2 other guys whose names I'm unaware of but one is better and one is worse than me.

Felt really slow to start but ended up being fairly consistent the whole way through when I looked at my splits afterwards. First 2km, was mainly taken up by figuring out where we have to go as it is a given at regionals that many people are shouting many different instructions at the same time. It was a front pack of seven of us but I could feel fatigue creeping in. I took the lead after 2km, keeping the same pace, but then positions were shuffled around once more. Then the guy who's better than me, whose name I don't know broke away. I stayed with the pack, but increased my pace dropping some guys behind me. It was Sam, Vaughn and I up the hill as Sam slowly edged his way up to the leader. Then Lyness got himself back with Vaughn and I, taking the lead stretching out slightly. Vaughn then put the foot down and I was stuck with Lyness. Around the football field for the second lap and I injected the pace slowly the pull myself onto Vaughn's shoulder leaving Lyness behind. 450 to go and Vaughn goes again and I can't hold him.

Onto the track for the last 400 and I'm tying up. I should've hammered harder but the fatigue got to me. Lyness got me with 100m to go and I settled for fifth. Solid run although nothing amazing. Definitely need to push harder in the last km's, accept it's going to hurt for the joy of a good run. 8km for the day including cool downs and the likes. Sammy took the victory which was good to see.

Today just did 10km in 45:02. Training has been mixed up and Cheyne switched back to training on Tuesday Thursdays instead of Monday Wednesdays and I can't make the Tuesday sessions. Sorted it though, I'll train with the guys I went to Warburton with on Monday's (Sam, Will, Beau, JB) and Thursdays will be with Cheyne (Tom, Haftu, Jasper) . Hopefully it'll work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment