Monday 16 June 2014

Regional Cross Country 2014 - Ballam Park

Race today, it was a struggle getting up after a few bigger nights, got myself up to the school for a bus ride up to the park. Miserable weather, but the rain made an exception for our race which helped. No spikes allowed which killed me though, although some pulled a very sneaky switcheroo and changed on the start line. Wore the new racing flats that I bought instead and they were very handy. Started off around a football oval, but not before a fence jump and a couple of ditches were required to navigate. Nick pulled ahead at this point before the first km, but I reeled him back in. There was 6 of us forming a leading line. We went up a hill, around and back down, then down a steeper grass section during which I pulled back up into third position. Through the first km in 3:06 which was fast, then pushed on up another long hill, the back around a steeper corner on which spikes would be useful. Didn't see Nick from then on although the pace slowed to 3:26 for the second km and accelerated again up to 3:19 on the third. It was now 4 of us. I came into the lead up another hill with everyone tucked behind me. They then overtook and the 4th km was in 3:34, a bit slow. Then around a soccer oval, the line spread out completely with me in 4th place and that's how we finished. The 5th km was in 3:18 although we had to run 500m extra which killed me. Really happy the race though I was up with the leaders, until 500m to go so stoked. Made it to the next round, State should be a killer.

No comments:

Post a Comment