Friday 17 July 2015

State Schools Cross Country 2015

Up to Bundoora for the second time this year for my last state school race ever. Warmed up with Sam before putting on spikes, grabbing my number last minute and getting over to the start line.

Gun went and it was a rough start with pushing and shoving all over as everyone was right in the pack. After the initial scramble the pace really slowed so I worked my way up to the front and was running in second place for a while. Then the leaders started off strong before we went through 2km and I let them go, knowing the form they're in.

Course is made up of a 2km loop then a 3km loop or just under. There's the same major hill in both of them at the start of. Each loop however it isn't too bad, it's just the biggest in the course. I was hanging around the 10th position mark and holding my spot, battling it out with another devil from my region. I managed to go by him and continued pushing up the hill feeling pretty good.

Tight corner going down and I suddenly realised I need to shit. Pretty poor timing to be fair but I continued the haul. Down the hill I stretched out, maintained my spot, but at the turn around some guys came by me. Back up the hill for a short distance before turning again to head towards the finish. Lost some places here as well, but that was then all up until the end.

Pretty disappointed in that race, I feel like I didn't push myself anywhere near to what I normally do.  Feel like I threw it in the bag after km 3 and I definitely don't feel like I ran hard enough, although my splits are all well under 3:20's, a race I'd normally be stoked with. Did 15:19 for 4.7k but I just don't know. Not racing for a while now, and this weekend is study filled so I'll just take an easy one and get training again next week. Aths season is on the approach now so I'll make sure I'm killing myself in all the big races.

No comments:

Post a Comment