Saturday 16 April 2016

Jells Park Relays - 2016

So first race in the cross country calendar came around and as tradish states, it's gotta be Jells relays. 

I was put in a team with Denyan and Sam. It's a 6km course, 2 laps of 3k. The start is halfway up the largest hill on the course, it then loops back down the hill and continues to the back of the park, all downhill before coming back up over a small rise, following some switchbacks to make up distance, travelling down to the lake and starting the large hill once again. 

Sam ran a huge 19:11 for the 6km, I took it out steadily catching a guy about 500m in who stuck with me for the remainder of the race. 

Split the 1st lap in 10:21 feeling strong but not too easy. Was overtaken here by a another guy in my age group which was frustrating as I couldn't hold him off. Really worked up the hill, kept the pace solid on the downhill before absolutely murdering myself on the switchbacks. Gave it everything on the last uphill stretch, tapping Denyan's hand and stumbling around for a bit. 

Time was 21:26 so really happy, cutting 40 seconds off last year's effort even with the recent injury. 

Denyan managed a 20:23 to put us in 4th place for the team event. Happy but not over the moon as we were hoping  for that third place. Sandown relays wil be our one we're thinking. 

Great to race again and it got me pumped for the rest of the season. 10.2 km all up. Here's one of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment